‘I dont care if I go to jail!’ – John Arne Riise recalls the moment former Liverpool teammate Craig Bellamy attacked him with a golf club

‘I dont care if I go to jail!’ – John Arne Riise recalls the moment former Liverpool teammate Craig Bellamy attacked him with a golf club
John Arne Riise revealed he wanted to knock Craig Bellamy out after the striker attacked him with a golf club in 2007.The former Liverpool stars were involved in an extraordinary bust-up before the Reds’ Champions League victory over Barcelona.Riise and Bellamy embrace after the victory over Barcelona at Nou Camp4
Riise and Bellamy embrace after the victory over Barcelona at Nou Camp
In an extract from his new autobiography, Riise spoke to The Guardian and revealed exactly what happened prior to the game during a training camp in the Algarve.He said: “We stayed at Barringtons Golf and Spa hotel, which was located in an exclusive resort called Vale do Lobo. I shared a room with Daniel Agger. On Thursday it was decided we should have a team dinner without the trainers and managers. At these dinners the players were allowed to have a beer or two, something I never took advantage of. But a couple of beers wasnt going to hurt anyone else. If only they had managed to stick to a couple.“Steven Gerrard had called the owner and booked a private room for us at Montys Restaurant and Bar. Montys was situated in an area near the beach. The interior was black and white, and I remember seeing a karaoke machine in the bar.“A couple of the lads started drinking before the food arrived. Among them was Craig Bellamy. Pretty soon a microphone appeared on the table and Bellamy bellowed into it: ‘Riises gonna sing! Riises gonna sing!’ He started before the food was served and continued while we ate. He was already quite drunk and I was already quite annoyed.Bellamy celebrates his equaliser with the infamous golf swing celebration4
Bellamy celebrates his equaliser with the infamous golf swing celebration
“Pretty soon Bellamy was over by the karaoke machine with the microphone in the hand: Riises gonna sing! Riises gonna sing! Furious, I went over to him: Im not singing. Shut the f**k up or else Im gonna smash you!’ He screamed back: ‘Im gonna f****g kill you, you ginger c**t!’“Bellamy shut up, and I left with Sami Hyypi who was just getting a little tipsy and got a taxi back to the hotel. Agger hadnt wanted to leave yet, so I promised to leave the door unlocked. Back in the room I fell asleep almost immediately. It was no later than half twelve.“I woke in the dark to hear someone opening the door. Obviously I thought it was Agger. I turned, but my eyes were half-asleep, and I didnt see anything in the sudden, bright glare. But something made me realise that it wasnt Agger. And soon I could see him Craig Bellamy at the foot of my bed with a golf club in his hands.“Steve Finnan, who shared a room with Bellamy, was there too, but he just stood there. Bellamy raised the club over his head and swung as hard as he could. He tried to hit my shins, which would have ended my career, but I managed to pull my leg away in time. “I jumped out of bed, pulled off the sheet and held it between us like I was some kind of half-awake matador. Bellamy sputtered: ‘Nobody disrespects me like that in front of the lads!’ He was completely gone.’I dont care if I go to jail! My kids have enough money for school and everything. I dont care. Ill f*****g do you!’ He raised the club and swung again. This time he connected. Full force on my hip. I was so pumped with adrenaline that I didnt feel the pain, but he hit me hard. It was an iron.“The next blow smashed into my thigh. I tried to hold up the sheet, but he continued to strike. He could seriously injure me. At the same time, I knew I could take Bellamy if I needed to. I was bigger and stronger.“Finnan stood by the door. Maybe he was there to stop Bellamy if it got too bad, but he was short and skinny. He wouldnt have stood a chance once I made my mind up. However, I knew that if I responded to Bellamys attack, my career atLiverpoolwould be over.The duo made headlines for their antics in the Algarve4
The duo made headlines for their antics in the Algarve
“I tried to calm him down: ‘Put down the club and lets fight with our fists. Come on! A proper fight!’ He just stood and glowered at me. Then he said: ‘Tomorrow at nine oclock well meet and finish this.’ Then he left.”The game against Barcelona finished to 2-1 to Liverpool amazingly thanks to goals from both Bellamy and Riise in the Nou Camp.Despite Deco’s first half header, Bellamy equalised with a header which he celebrated by running to the corner and mimicking a golf swing.Riise scored the winner from a Bellamy assist4
Riise scored the winner from a Bellamy assist
In a stunning turn of events, he then turned provide for Riise’s winner in the second half, although the Norwegian was left less than impressed by his teammate’s satirical sense of humour.“I felt like knocking him [Bellamy] out,” Riise continued. “I would have been justified in giving him a pounding but I had too much respect for Bentez and the team. We were about to play an important match. There was enough commotion as it was.“Bellamy apologised but only when he was more or less forced to by the manager. He ended up with an 80,000 fine. I received no punishment, contrary to the reports of some journalists.“Barcelona took the lead at Camp Nou, Deco nodding in a header, triggering cheers from more than 90,000 fans in the stands. “They had us under pressure, and there was a feeling everything could unravel. Frank Rijkaard had assembled an impressive team. Not only did he have the worlds best player, Ronaldinho, but also a brilliant young talent named Lionel Messi.“Two minutes before the break Bellamy equalised. He celebrated by running towards the corner flag, where he stopped and made a swinging motion, like he was holding a golf club. I thought it was f*****g disrespectful. The celebration also revealed the sincerity of his apology.”

Thomas Frank was promoted to head coach at Brentford when Dean Smith left

Tottenham Hotspur fans were left raging during their match with Burnley on Saturday afternoon as they believe their opponents scored from a corner which shouldn't have been. The host took the lead on 57 minutes when Chris Wood nodded home off the crossbar, against the run of play. Burnley star Chris Wood celebrates.
Tottenham Hotspur news: Mauricio Pochettino faces prospect of
hollywoodadviser.com/tottenham-hotspur-news-mauricio-pochettino-faces-prospect-of-fa-charge-as-referee-mike-dean-reveals-he-will-include-incident-in-his-report/
FINE OR BAN? Argentine boss confronted the official at the end of the game as Spurs lost to Burnley Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino is facing the prospect of an FA charge over his conduct against Burnley. The Spurs boss flew into a rage with referee Mike Dean following the final whistle of their 2-1 defeat at Turf Moor.
Officials slated on social media over Burnley and Tottenham goals

The draw has been made for the Champions League last 16

John Aldridge posts funny tweet about Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk and Champions League final pitch invader Kinsey Wolanski World Football June 6, 2019 Christian Pulisic juggles in kitchen with mom, adorbs
UEFA Nations League odds: England and Portugal joint

Jose Mourinho was sacked by Manchester United last month
Pep Guardiola claims Manchester City will not be banned from

Mauricio Pochettino could lose of his star men

Sports journalists and bloggers covering NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, MMA, college football and basketball, NASCAR, fantasy sports and more. News, photos, mock drafts, game
Man City hit the jackpot with a £50million Puma kit deal

Robert had a wonderful left foot

Maurizio Sarri believes he 'deserves' to stay with Chelsea after guiding them to Europa League final success with a crushing 4-1 win over Arsenal. The Italian claimed the first trophy of his
Maurizio Sarri asks to leave Chelsea after agreeing Juventus

Massimiliano Allegri has been in charge of Juventus since 2014
Stoke sack manager Gary Rowett after just eight months in

Neymar and Cavani could miss both matches vs Man United

Transfer news: Premier League and Championship clubs to battle for Leyton Orient ace Macauley Bonne who will face Mohamed Salah at AFCON Premier League and Championship clubs are among those battling to sign Leyton Orient striker Macauley Bonne, talkSPORT understands. The Zimbabwe international, 23, is set to go head-to-head with..
FA Trophy final: Leyton Orient forward Macauley Bonne talks

Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City pipped Liverpool to the title by one point, registering 98 in total

West Ham United news: Pablo Zabaleta believes a 'weak mentality' will stop Hammers qualifying for Europa League A European place could be up for grabs for the team who finishes seventh By Josh
West Ham United news: Pablo Zabaleta believes a 'weak

Comparisons have been made with Michael Ballack

One of the transfers that might have gone under the radar on deadline day has definitely been Lazar Markovic's move to Fulham. The Serbian winger ended his Liverpool nightmare as he moves to London where he'll hope to get his career back on track and help Cottagers stay up. The 24-year-old has
What Fulham have said about late transfer deal for Liverpool

Raphael Varane’s Real Madrid future is uncertain

West Ham have been linked with Gary Cahill as he prepares to leave Chelsea. But Burnley have now entered the race, according to The Daily Mail. Burnley are ready to compete with the Hammers for Cahill, who will become a free agent at the end of the season.
Dyche: Key Is To Back Up Hammers Win - News - Burnley

Brown couldn’t keep the smirk off his face as he constantly wound up the Rangers players at Celtic Park
Cesar Azpilicueta calls Chelsea's 6-0 thrashing to Manchester

No comments:

Post a Comment